... still is today - now at Pizzeria Ristorante Molino Select in Zurich- our classic select!
Café Select was founded in 1935 by Willy Boesiger and was regarded as one of the most important meeting places for artists, intellectuals and architects on the Limmat. In the 1930s and 1940s it was also heavily frequented by emigrants. His prominent guests included Kurt Tucholsky, Else Lasker-Schüler and Alfred Einstein, Erika Mann and Le Corbusier, and later Max Frisch and Friedrich Dürrenmatt. The café was run as a non-alcoholic restaurant, the chess corner in particular was very popular.
The Café Select was furnished from the very beginning with furniture by horgenglarus, which can be proven by a historical index card, which was found in the company archive. Among them were 115 armchairs No. 182S. Over the years, this chair has been renamed to select.
The select chair has long since been regarded as an icon of Swiss furniture design and is once again one of the the cornerstones of the horgenglarus range.
The house at Limmatquai 16, where Café Select was located until 1998, was sold a few years ago and carefully renovated by Zanoni Architects. Instead of Café Select, Pizzeria Ristorante Molino Select has now moved into the premises of Studiokino Nord-Süd and partially of Café Select. These rooms were developed by Atelier ushitamboriello.
And again our select chair is part of the party. Together with interior designer Ushi Tamboriello, we have developed a select bar stool with backrest especially for the Molino Select. We already have a select bar stool without backrest in our range and in 1935 12 bar stools were delivered for the Café Select. We are very pleased that the select chair has been able to accompany the history of this café and now the Pizzeria Ristorante Molino Select and may continue to do so.